Robot System for Automatic Screw Shear & Bung Assembly
Written by: RNA Automation
The world’s leading manufacturer of electricity meters approached RNA to design and developed a robot assembly system for automatic screw shear and bung assembly. Working alongside our customer, RNA have developed an automatic robot system to shear and dispose of the screw heads for both an existing smart meter housing and a new type smart meter housing and additionally assemble the square and round bungs to the new type meter on a test and print system.
The robot assembly system is mounted after the laser printing station. The screw heads are sheared using an air operated driver with a compliant head mounted on a small 6 axis Nachi robot. The sheared heads are removed by the robot using vacuum and deposited into a chute as waste.
The square and round plastic bungs for the new type meter are fed using individual bowl feeders to dead nests. The robot assembles the bung into the appropriate slot on the meter housing. Additional plunger mechanisms are included to ensure the bungs are fully assembled into position.
- Nachi MZ04 Robot
- Robot mounted air operated screwdriver with compliant head
- Robot mounted vacuum head
- Square bung bowl feeder with linear track and dead nest
- Round bung bowl feeder with linear track and dead nest
- Waste screw head chute
- Control system
Learn More About Our Robotic Systems >
RNA Automation Ltd
Unit C Castle Bromwich Business Park Tameside Drive, Birmingham B35 7AG
T: +44 (0)121 749 2566
Fax: +44 (0)121 749 6217
- Centrifugal Feeder feeds and orientates Test Unit Body September 6, 2018
- Centrifugal Feeder orientates and feeds a range of Coin Blanks August 16, 2018
- How to Choose – Options for Part Presentation in Robotic Assembly July 31, 2018
- ROBO-FLEX P: Future Proof Precision Feeding of two different size parts using an Asycube 240 and an Adept SCARA robot July 31, 2018
- RNA’s Snowdon Challenge for Birmingham Children’s Hospital Charity July 31, 2018