Robot System for Automatic Screw Shear & Bung Assembly
Written by: Ying Zhang
The world’s leading manufacturer of electricity meters approached RNA to design and developed a robot system for automatic screw shear and bung assembly. Working alongside our customer, RNA have developed an automatic robot system to shear and dispose of the screw heads for both an existing smart meter housing and a new type smart meter housing and additionally assemble the square and round bungs to the new type meter on a test and print system.
The robot assembly system is mounted after the laser printing station. The screw heads are sheared using an air operated driver with a compliant head mounted on a small 6 axis Nachi robot. The sheared heads are removed by the robot using vacuum and deposited into a chute as waste.
The square and round plastic bungs for the new type meter are fed using individual bowl feeders to dead nests. The robot assembles the bung into the appropriate slot on the meter housing. Additional plunger mechanisms are included to ensure the bungs are fully assembled into position.
- Nachi MZ04 Robot
- Robot mounted air operated screwdriver with compliant head
- Robot mounted vacuum head
- Square bung bowl feeder with linear track and dead nest
- Round bung bowl feeder with linear track and dead nest
- Waste screw head chute
- Control system
RNA Automation Ltd
Hayward Industrial Park, Tameside Drive Castle Bromwich Birmingham, UK, B35 7BT
T: +44 (0)121 749 2566
Fax: +44 (0)121 749 6217
- Cost of Manual Labour vs. Automation Infographic January 25, 2018
- RNA Newsletter January Issue 2018 January 22, 2018
- RNA UK onward and upward January 22, 2018
- New Linear Feeder for multi-track and pharma applications January 18, 2018
- RNA Head Quarters steps up expansion January 18, 2018