Automated Cap Assembly and Indexing System
Written by: Ying Zhang
RNA were contracted to design and develop a cap lid and body assembly machine at a speed of 2400 assembled caps per hour. The system was manufactured in a compact design, equipped with body and lid feeding systems, a 4 stations rotary indexing table, main controller, operating panel and safety devices.
Body & Lid Feed Systems
Bodies and lids are manually loaded into elevating bulk feeders, which store and transfer them on demand to their respective vibratory bowl feeders. The components are fed and orientated by the vibratory bowl feeders, before being
transferred to vibratory linear tracks. The vibratory bowl feeders are internally lined with soft felt to reduce and minimise product marking.
An rotary indexing table collects two bodies at a time from the discharge end of the body feed system’s linear track, before presenting them to the discharge position of the lid feed system.
Lid Pick and Place
A pick and place handling system collects two lids at a time and place them onto two bodies presented by the indexing table.
A tamp station on the indexing table presses down on the lid and body together to form the assembled component.
A check station tests two assembled components at a time to ensure that the lid is present and correctly pressed down onto the body.
Good/Bad Eject Stations
Components found to be missing the lid, or with the lid incorrectly tamped, are rejected from the system into a storage container.
Components that pass the check station are ejected from the system into the customer’s storage containers.
RNA design and develop rotary indexing system that is tailored to the customer’s specific applications. The system can be utilized in many environments ranging from assembly, machining, testing, printing to parts positioning and transfer.
- Custom machine with rotary indexing table
- Check station integrated to prevent faulty components, removing them to ensure quality
- High precision and repeatability
- High productivity
- Cost effective
- Low maintenance
- Floor-space saving
- The machine can be upgraded to suit different types of cap. Changeover will be accommodated via interchangeable bowls tops, and adjustable tooling on the linear tracks and indexing table.
All of these benefits deliver a short payback period and impressive return on investment.
Machine building and integration, machine and process control, Rotary indexing tables, Feeding and handling, Welding process, Project management
RNA Automation Ltd
Hayward Industrial Park, Tameside Drive Castle Bromwich Birmingham, UK, B35 7BT
T: +44 (0)121 749 2566
Fax: +44 (0)121 749 6217
- Cost of Manual Labour vs. Automation Infographic January 25, 2018
- RNA Newsletter January Issue 2018 January 22, 2018
- RNA UK onward and upward January 22, 2018
- New Linear Feeder for multi-track and pharma applications January 18, 2018
- RNA Head Quarters steps up expansion January 18, 2018